Saturday, January 3, 2009

OXFORD

If my dad gets accepted... my house will be rented out and my family will move to Oxford.

My dad explained to me today what his dissertation is on... and I can tell how afraid he is to hope he'll get in...
its such a huge deal.

the PHD theologians at Oxford are 140 in number... and all of them have extremely specialized degrees.
APU's undergrad has like 6... same with George Fox.... 

His topic is so interesting... 
but its insane the amount of knowledge he knows just in the background to his study that is completely over my head.

My dad would be researching to write a book on something no one has written anything on since 300 AD

what in the world.

why is my dad sooo insanely smart and cool.

Like... I wish I could remember all the names of things he explained to me... its so interesting.

He wants to study, essentially, the divinity of Jesus.
I guess like, the church agrees that Jesus was divine but no one agrees on exactly what that means.... 
Theres like these strange words for the understanding of the original greek that my dad explained... 
and christological whosiwhatsits.... 
i WISH i could explain it... I KNOW what it is... but i dont know any of the correct terminology...

But what I think is the most cool is that really only 3 men have attempted to write about this... and they've been dead for thousands of years.

Oxford only accepts proposals of study that interest them... that no one else is studying...
And my dad's I guess is supposed to be accepted... according to the theologians he studies under at George Fox...

I guess its really good...

Which... I am SO proud of him.
No wonder my mom is obsessed with Oxford... she loves my dad.

If I married someone... and they were this brilliant and capable of studying in one of the most amazing places in the world... THE place to study... with access to THE MOST knowledge in the world.... 
I would become enthralled with that place too...

Oxford that is romantic with its steeple chases and pubs.  Quiet, brilliant minds... 
I think i'm going to go finish A Severe Mercy now.

No comments: