Saturday, January 3, 2009

Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

I am fascinated with Jabberwocky... 
It's possibly the only famous poem I have completely memorized... 

I just think... I love that Lewis Carroll completely made up words that we understand simply because of the letters used in them.  I've wanted to do this.  Grahm has too.  But discovering that someone else... who I've never met and never will... a fellow human though, has acted upon this interest is strange.  Exciting really.

It reminds me of these things: (stupid connectedness controlling my brain again...)
1. word worm in cranium... when they ask you about a word that no ones ever heard before... define it! they demand... and give you some options... and you could get it right... because they know that our brains associate certain sounds from letters with concepts and items.

2. That study that says if one only rearranges the insides of a word but keeps the bookends a person's brain will sort it out and be capable of reading it....

I think theres just a lot to be discovered with this... why do I associate certain combinations of letters and the sounds they make with concepts?
interesting...

I wonder if it happens as a child... or if it takes familiarity, years of speaking a language to become so attached.

No comments: