Thursday, March 26, 2009

Library Program.

So on thursdays I go read to these kids at this daycare in the community by my school.
My children's lit class partners with the Glendora library to try and instill the importance of reading in small children.

I was so blessed today.

Honestly...
Children are amazing.

Listening to what their brains jump to when merely a color is added....
a fabric.
a simple toy.

Victor screaming for joy and exclaiming that there was blue and orange on the cieling... i look up and the light had reflected off of something causing there to be colors above us..
he was so excited.

one of the little girls calmly observing that our ribbons during the ribbon dancing time looked like elephant ears when you held them up to yours.
then she came up and draped a red one over me and said... youre like RUFF RUFF.  clifford? i asked and she smiled and nodded.

I love after we've finished whats on the agenda when we open the box to play.  Kids are getting hurt and crying or whatever because they got wacked in the eye with someone elses ribbon mid twirl.  There's these 2 kids who i guess function like an old married couple all the time and boss each other around.

But theres this one little girl.. the oldest i think... who i absolutely adore.

She listens.
She sits there and smiles really genuinely.

Our box today was music themed... so we had all these music books with shakers and ribbons for dancing and little fish shaped castinets...

after we finished reading this other little girl dragged a book over to me and i sat on the couch while SHE read.
it was pretty adorable... the plotline not what we've read but purely from observing whats going on in the pictures... which is better..  
"The dog is wiggling.  That is spinning (his tail).  It looks like a star.  Theres grass."
And then she got on this kick where she needed to ask ME how many things were on each page... (she was obviously used to being asked by me to count things or point things out).
"Show me the Dog"
"Point to the grass"
"How many bee's? Count them."
"Show me the Luna."

pretty wonderful.

Then my favorite girl came over (of course she had waited her turn).
Sat down with this book we read about this frog who starts a band.

Now keep in mind, a lot of why i'm so amazed by these kids is that English is their second language... and not only do they speak it very well but they understand reading and counting in both english and spanish... and the oldest girl is 5.  Everyone else is 3 and under.
This girl seriously remembered the book.
She wasn't just making things up like what was shown in the pictures.
She knew what every page contained in its words.

I almost started to cry it was such a beautiful moment.

She remembered on the first page that there was a marching band advertisement on the wall.
She remembered before we even saw the page with the father on it that froggy's father had yelled for him to stop playing his sax so loud cause he was on the phone.  that froggy had said... i'm on the SAX ophone.
She remembered that when the band marched they werent to look Left or Right because then everyone would pile up and fall over.

like....
I cannot WAIT to have my own children.
I totally understand why God wants us to be like them.
I totally understand why he loves us if he views us liek them. 



And at the end after singing "We Clap and Say Goodbye" they all ran up and gave us hugs and one girl said "I love you."
I just can't handle that.
I love children.

And when I went to the car with the other girl Missy, all the kids ran out on the grass and to the fence and smiled at us while we got in.

AH.
i love them.

No comments: