Sunday, March 8, 2009

frindle.

I'm in starbucks just off campus right now... 
read Frindle for children's literature and now I just want to reflect...

I love how GOOD teachers seem to be the wisest.

Mrs. Granger is like Mr. Hartenstein... knowing whats best and maybe not saying it.
Mrs. Granger is like Mrs. Smith... Pushing for the traditions that have worked forever but seeking out ways to inspire the individual NEW child in her class.
Mrs. Granger is like Mr. Ernst... enduring critical spirits to push for everyone's best.

I always think about all of the incredibly trying teachers I have had... 
but... 
I have had a lot of good teachers.   

1st Grade   Mrs. Wakeling sends me a christmas card every year.  my first grade teacher who retired the year after I had her.  Who punished me for blurting out in class the first time I realized what it meant to count.  Who first showed me what it meant to bear the responsibility of being a smart reader.

2nd & 3rd Grade  Mrs. Covington who never corrected with red pen because she believed in the power that color had over students.  Who had been a part of the civil rights movement.  Who taught me that the things that had been impassioned inside of me were important and deserved exploration.  Who patiently sat with all of the strong willed 8 or so girls who constantly had arguments at recess.... talking us through our disagreements.  Who introduced me to the word "idiosyncrasy" and taught me to spell it.

4th Grade  Mrs. Knapp who patiently endured my inability to apply myself to homework.  Who let me have both the cd case and the book I had stared at during our points spending day; looking me into the eyes as though she were handing me excalibur. Who loved backrubs.  Who introduced us all to fear as she went through her heart surgery.

5th Grade Mr. Bailey  who taught me about all of the individuals in my class and gave me my introduction to teachers who love the Lord in the public school system and the secret alliance that is brought through this knowledge.

6th -8th Grade Mr. Ernst who in the sweet discipleship of his bible study taught me that patient endurance and simple love.  Who's quick temper frustrated me and showed me that people are flawed and though they still love the Lord.

7th Grade Mrs. Smith who's gentle grandmother-like ways taught everyone respect and love for the elderly.  Whose dutiful work ethic showed me the shortcomings of my own. Who taught me more geography than any other teacher i've had and then taught me to breathe.  Who taught me that sweet old white haired granny's can drive yellow convertibles. 

8th Grade Mr. Lepine   who was the first teacher crush I ever had ;).  And who actually gave me an appreciation for Science and the mechanics of the world.

9th Grade  Mr. Schlegel who showed me I was different even amongst the artists; I was special.  
9th-present Grade :)  Mr. Hartenstein  who made me feel like his equal... both just on a journey to learn as much as possible.  Who showed me how to love people like Simon... Who's lighthearted view on the travels of the world has inspired me and made me feel both breakable and invincible and really alright.

10th- 12th Grade  Mrs. Cathy Cain who showed me that childlikeness & wonder is the most admirable quality in an artist.  Who praised me and grew disappointed in my shortcomings and laziness.  Who pointed out my faults in a loving reinforced manner.

11th Grade Ms. June Yi   who's perfection taught me about my lazy attitude towards work.  Whose expectations of her bright students told me to excel and push.  Whose own personal disciplines inspired me to no end and who taught me more in 10 months about writing and reading than I did in the 10 years preceding.

12th Grade Mr. Seibert  who's personal discovery of nirvana allowed everyone around him to benefit.  Whose love for learning and absorbing and his own poetic spirit inspired and found itself to be kindred with mine own.  Who united meaghan, anna and i in our love for something indescribable... 


maybe its looking for REAL.

"for real"


which is interesting.... i've been toying with this phrase for a while... i think it will end up being the name of a show i do at some point.


1 comment:

justbeing said...

i've been thinking about doing a post like this of my own (one of my ideas for a post, pre-the days of my blog..)

but i just read it

and reign of love was playing

and i cried a little.

i miss teacher-friends.